Not real sure how I feel about this.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Yesterday I was in the town near me doing my final school preparations. One side of the road there is a strip mall and the other side is a super Wal-mart.
I see a bunch of kids right at the entrances with big signs. I thought they were probably advertising a carwash or something. there were probably 6 kids with big signs.
1 read Please Buy Local the other was Keep your money at home, then there were 3 that said "help our mommy keep our home"
Ok, so I feel really really bad for any families that are going through any sort of financial troubles and I do try to buy local when it is possible. What I am not totally comfortable with is
1- these are kids and even though they are having financial troubles I dont think putting it out there like that is doing a service to the,. Why would you want your children to worry about this and add more stress to their already stressful lives.
2- I did not see any adults out there , I mean why embarass your kids by putting them out there with signs like that.
3- a continuance of the above. As much as it pulls at your heart strings ( and I am sure the parents thought of this as well hence the reason they used kids for the deed) I know my kids would be ridiculed and made fun of for this and would never forgive me when one of their school mates brought up the fact that they seen them talking about losing their home in front of Walmart. I really just dont see the reason why you would put a child through this.
4- My thoughts are that this person whomever it may be ( an if it is you , my heart goes out to you but come on..) Needs to go back to business school. Since when did this tactic work. This is not far off from the homeless people that are at every exit asking for just 1 dollar for a meal.
uggh
I am having a hard time with this because I do have a heart and have kids and have been broke, and I mean BROKE. When my husband and I split up he paid not 1 dime of child support . I went back to work , lived in a trailer and my kids were plunged into an entirely new life. The luxuries they had before like FOOD, dental care and all that jazz that we take for granted was gone. Some of the sadder times were when we had to go to the food pantry for food after not doing so for the first 3 months.
My youngest was 7 at the time and she was in HEAVEN, we were down to not much at all in the cupboards and were at a point that I would lie tell family that I ad to work jsut so they would watch the kids sicne I KNEW they would eat while they were there., My youngest came in 1 day wanting a box of cookies ( from the food pantrys day old bakery shelf) I let her and her friends take some ou as I thought they could have a little picnic. They were gone for a while and she came back, Said I have a surprise for you mommy. She pulls out like 6 dollars from her back pocket, I asked where she got it. She had gone through the neighborhood selling cookies for a dollar, the reason,so we could pay our electricity bill :-( I had no idea she knew wnything about our troubles other than we had to move and would have to watch our pennies. This was at Christmas time too and luckily I had Christmas bought so they would have that.
It was a bad time in our live and it was not the best but when I told them all we were moving back with their dad they were mad, They wanted usto stay in that tiny 2 bed 2 bath trailer in a trailer park rather than go back, . I made it on 1000 a month while it wasnt a lot it still paid the bills and I cared for my kids,


More on thie later.

0 comments:

 
Fizzy Fuzzy. Design by Pocket